OpenDX Paths to Visualization
From the Back Cover
Paths to Visualization is the first book to provide training materials for OpenDX, the open source version of the former IBM product Visualization Data Explorer. The material presented here has been tested and refined in years of actual training sessions, and is currently used by VIS, Inc. for their OpenDX beginners course. The material is organized and presented as a sequence of lessons, designed to facilitate self-paced instruction for students working independently or in the context of a formal class. Each lesson is built around a visualization goal, an appropriate data model, clearly identified opportunities for individual experimentation and refinement, an example step-by-step solution, and discussion of relevant concepts. The visualization concepts covered apply in general, but are specifically illustrated with the facilities and operation of OpenDX. The set of lessons is designed to systematically take the serious student from the level of OpenDX novice to that of the advanced beginner, with each new lesson building upon concepts, examples, or visual programs developed in preceding lessons. The materials assume that the student is working hands-on with the OpenDX Visual Programming Environment, with access to real example data sets. It also provides hand-on experience with a variety of data sets, helping the student to understand how to import differently structured data and how to exploit the underlying OpenDX data model to achieve desired visual effects. (207 pages).
WHAT YOU NEED TO USE THIS BOOK:
- OpenDX software version 4.1.0 or later -- the software can be downloaded free from <http://www.opendx.org/>
- Sample data files available from VIS, Inc., which can be downloaded free from our products page.
- For the eBook version, you will need to be able to open encrypted Acrobat® documents using freely available software such as Acrobat® Reader or Acrobat® eBook Reader downloadable from the links below.
When using OpenDX 4.2 to complete the execercises in Chapter 3, you will not be able to directly select the GIF file format. Please choose the ImageMagick format and name the file with a .gif extension or choose a different format all together.
We are offering three (3) forms of OpenDX Paths to Visualization with different licensing price levels.
- Non-printable, single user, eBook ( view license ): $40.00
- Standard printed book: $55.00 + shipping/handling
- Laser Quality printable eBook
- license to print up to five (5) copies ( view license ): $250.00
- license to print up to ten (10) copies ( view license ): $350.00
- license to print up to twenty (20) copies ( view license ): $600.00*
*Includes free revision updates
Ready to purchase?
OpenDX Paths to Visualization eBook ($40)
OpenDX Paths to Visualization Book ($55)
All credit card processing is done through PayPal and you are not required to create a PayPal account. You can also fax us your order at (406)496-4756 or send your check or money order for the proper amount to:
Attn: Book Sales
5515 Skyway Drive
Missoula, MT 59804
Adobe, the Adobe logo, Acrobat, Acrobat Reader, and Acrobat eBook Reader are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.
[ Homepage | Press | Products | Support | Consulting |
Training | Contact Us | Personnel | Site Map ]